Re: Gimp crashes when I start up gimp

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 09:24:35AM +0100, Jos <josvanr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just updated from SuSE linux 6.1 to 6.3. Now, when I started
> up gimp from an xterm, the screen became full of these lines:

I can run gimp from suse 6.3 just fine. You do not happen to overclock
your machine? Or have a faulty harddrive? Or faulty dram? Or some broken
library?

> After which the system didn't respond anymore: I had to reboot,

This is almost by definition not a bug in gimp, but in your x-server or
your hardware.

It is very hard to find out what could be the reason for this unpleasant
behaviour. Maybe you just haven't enough RAM to run gimp, and the kernel
starts to kill processes like mad (especially when you run the patched
suse kernel). It might kill your xserver giving you the impression of a
frozen system when, in fact, it isn't.

> version is printed.) So... does anybody know what I could do now?
> Maybe compile the programme myself?

That's a good start, but certainly not the real reason. At the moment, I'd
suggest faulty hardware or not enough memory. But it could be a broken
xserver binary, or wrong xserver for your gfx card..

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|