Re: TIFF bug with GIMP??

Thus spoke Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero
> Can you teach some "professionals" that are unable to learn about file
> formats, please? I am feed up of speaking with guys that only manage TIFF or
> a few more file formats. You say PNG, and they say "what is that?". The
> worse is not speaking, the worse is that I must send images to them for
> printing.

The problem, even for the technically aware professionals, is simply that
TIFF is widely supported.  PNG is not, at least not yet.  The method I've
used to date is to recommend PNG support if possible, then walk them
through using the TIFF files produced by the Gimp.  I'm still not sure,
even after reading Roelf's very good PNG text, if PNG is really better for
printing that TIFF.

BTW, I've discovered that for most publishers I've dealt with (eg Linux
Journal, Linux Magazine, and most recently a new UK based magazine called
either Linux Answers or Linux Magazine, but I'm not sure which yet),
uncompressed TIFF images work fine.  This includes publishers who format
their publications on either PC or Mac boxes.

TIFF works, even if it might be not be considered the most technically
advanced format.

> I have learned that the first to do when meeting a new "pro" is to test is
> knowledge about formats, resolutions, color models and so on, if he can not
> handle the basics in a fast and clear way (for example what you find in Gimp
> User Manual), you must activate "dumb guy" mode, and "feed them like a baby".

That's true no matter what file format you use.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |    Change is inevitable, except from a vending