Re: TIFF bug with GIMP??

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

> ..oh, one addition: I think Photoshop also uses that kind of variation for
> different options in file formats, Save as "Windows BMP" or "Mac BMP"
> etc.. The Photoshop's TIFF save dialog has similar options too:
>
> 	http://tigert.gimp.org/files/temp/tiff_dialogi.gif
>
> I think it is, while not very technical, very useful information if you
> need to save a pic for Mac use.. :)

Ok. I am now about to remove this from Gimp's TIFF loader.

PotatoShop's dialog (illustrated by tigert above) offers a switch which
controls whether MM or II headers are generated for the TIFF. There is
no such switch for libtiff, and therefore for Gimp.

The dialog which *looks* like this in Gimp is actually changing a whole
different setting, and that's what makes/ breaks Mac compatability. We
should be leaving this setting alone, and then Macs and PCs would both
live happily together AFAICT.

Therefore that part of the dialog is now toast. Objections?

Nick.