Re: TIFF bug with GIMP??

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero wrote:

>Can you teach some "professionals" that are unable to learn about file
>formats, please? I am feed up of speaking with guys that only manage TIFF or
>a few more file formats. You say PNG, and they say "what is that?". The
>worse is not speaking, the worse is that I must send images to them for
>printing.

This is very true. TIFF _is_ used very much in print world. That is why I
added the "Mac" vs "PC" switch to the TIFF plugin in cvs gimp a while ago,
so that I remember what use the switch has.. We just cant ignore it now.
Same as with GIF's on websites.  I'd love to change to something better,
but 1) jpeg's suck for anything not photographs and 2) png is not
supported enough on browsers (a LOT of people still use IE3) and it doesnt
do animation.

>I have learned that the first to do when meeting a new "pro" is to test is
>knowledge about formats, resolutions, color models and so on, if he can not
>handle the basics in a fast and clear way (for example what you find in Gimp
>User Manual), you must activate "dumb guy" mode, and "feed them like a baby".

True. Most print professionals are Mac users and mac users are smart. But
that doesnt mean they are _technical_. No use talking about bytes to them.
But they understand certain things pretty well. (= their applications and
how they work)

>Sad, but true. Maybe I am unlucky and live in a place full of "I have a
>computer, click, click, look what I can do, but do not ask me how the
>program works or what does that mean" guys. :[ At least car mechanics know
>what a phillips screw driver is. :]

..nowadays they have a gizmo with a RJ-45 cable they plug under the car's
hood and they probe the car for malfunctioning parts.. then they screw off
a big black box from the car and replace it with a new, working big black
box..  Someone said that an average car nowadays has _many_ computers
inside..  (ABS, fuel injection, cruise control etc..)

Scary ..

Tig