Re: Problems with Gimp Perl...

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 10:08:25PM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 05:22:53PM +0200, David Odin <David.Odin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >   The configure script at least accepted to build the perl plugins.
> >   But it refused to compile for an obscur reason (obscur for me) about
> >   the PDL.
>
> Can you capture the error messages you get? It should compile fine without
> PDL.

   Grrr. I've tried to remove to PDL (by deleting the /usr/local/lib/site_perl/
   directory and re-installing Gtk-Perl) and now gimp-cvs compile OK.
   I hate heisenbugs... I still have segfault, though...

> > gcc then complain about a function declared twice in
> > /usr/local/lib/site_perl/PDL/Core/ppport.h and in gppport.h
>
> This is strange. I use exactly the same version.. Your fix should work
> for the near future, however, so I applied it.. Given the right order of
> inclusion it might even be correct ;>

  I've run diff on these two files and I've seen many little differences
  between them. I'm really not a Perl guru, but these differences might
  have some importance. I don't know, though.

> > So I've launched the newly installed gimp and discovered many new plugins.
>
> This at least means they run good enough to register themselves.

  Yes.

> > I've tried Golden mean and have the dialog box with the Camel displaying.
> > But when I pressed OK, the plugin SegFault!
> > I've then tried other perl-based plugins, all show a dialog box and SegFault
> > when pressing OK.
> >
> >   Did I make something wrong?
>
> Certainly not... Maybe, if we fix the other problems, that problem
> goes away as well. You could also chekc the perl control center
> (Xtns/Perl/Control Center), which does some basic tests, but I suspect
> that will work, since the dialog boxes work.

  Is there a special function that's called when we click on the 'OK' button?
  If so I could put a debugging printf to narrow the bug...

> > I've also tried the same thing with Gimp-1.1.9 and have the same SegFault.
> > My version of perl is 5.004_04.
>
> You might, if you have too much free time, try to upgrade to 5.005_03, which
> is the version I mostly use for development.

  Ahem... I havent too much free time :)
  I'm using a debian system, and the only perl-5.005 I've found are made for
the glibc-2.1, and my system is based on glibc-2.07. If you know a _clean_
way of upgrading from 5.004_04 to 5.005_03 from the sources, I'll be more
than happy to try.

Also, there's a strange thing about the segfault, the stack show only unknown
functions...
Here's a dump of my console:

coruscant:~# gimp
Message: Passed serialization test

panic: restartop

/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.1/plug-ins/goldenmean: Segmentation fault caught
/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.1/plug-ins/goldenmean (pid:28864): [E]xit, [H]alt, show [S#0  0x40153078 in ?? ()
#1  0x40152f7c in ?? ()
#2  0x4013a2e4 in ?? ()
#3  0xbfffe6ac in ?? ()
#4  0x8086ad0 in ?? ()
#5  0x8082942 in ?? ()
#6  0x80582ff in ?? ()
#7  0x8057e3b in ?? ()
#8  0x4012a502 in ?? ()
#9  0x4013a6c9 in ?? ()
#10 0x4013a4e9 in ?? ()
#11 0x4013906a in ?? ()
#12 0x4012b017 in ?? ()
#13 0x8086ad0 in ?? ()
#14 0x8082942 in ?? ()
#15 0x8057bd3 in ?? ()
#16 0x8055f3b in ?? ()

the 28864 process was:
perl /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.1/plug-ins/goldenmean -gimp 10 8 64 64

         Thanks for your time,

               DindinX

--
David.Odin@xxxxxxxxxxx

Angelica: You babies are so dumb, I can't believe you lived to be one!