Re: Current status on migration to gettext/po

Hi Ulf,

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 09:16:39PM +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:
> Roman Joost (Mittwoch, 27. August 2008, 10:55):
> > I wonder what xml2po should do in those cases. Just include the
> > strings of the next siblings seen from the current HTML node, in the
> > translation? Could try to check if that works ...
>
> This is exactly the basic idea of a Python script I have started to
> write and that (hopefully) will split a multi-language XML file into
> single-language XML files of the same structure:
> Walk recursively through the XML tree and either take the node or take
> sibling nodes of the same type for the specified languages.
Interesting - I still, wonder if we really want to do that. I figured,
that there is sometimes even more English strings than translated
strings.

Do you implement it as a special mode (like the default is the docbook
mode)?

Anyways - I'd be interested in your results :)

> If it really works (I don't promise anything!) these files should work
> with xml2po's "--reuse" option.
That's actually the thing. I figured today, if there is no 1:1 mapping
between reference and translation language - the whole reuse option is
b0rked. That's because of the sequential parsing of the files. First the
translation, than the original XML is parsed (or vice versa). Then the
translation strings are merged. If we have more translated strings than
reference language strings... well - do something with it... And if the
difference between the reference language and the translation already
happens in the start of the article, the whole *.pot file is messed up.

> So far it seems to work for a simple XML file (e.g. chrome.xml). I will
> need some days to clean up, then I may commit it. Then we can start to
> add features to handle the not so simple parts...
Try to test it with the src/dialogs/tools-dialog.xml for example...

> > > BTW, I think we should remove any entries before 2008-07-30 from
> > > the branches/xml2po-support/ChangeLog file.
> >
> > Why do we want to do that? Doesn't make any sense to me...
>
> E.g. because of
>
> 	diff gimp-help-2/{branches/xml2po-support,trunk}/ChangeLog
Why not merging it?

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost