Re: Current status on migration to gettext/po

Roman Joost (Montag, 25. August 2008, 22:19):
> There is one point still open though, the integration into autoconf
> of the Makefile. Ulf - you put a lot of effort in the Makefile. Do
> you think you could spent a bit more time on this?

You mean merging the Makefile into our current Makefile.am? I can try it
and see what happens...

> We have to do this manually unfortunately. There is no better way
> around this IMHO. A program would also only be able to just guess.
> Let's face the advantages: we do have some time for clean up ;)

Either clean up or try to patch 'xml2po', so that it can handle those
problematic cases.

> How do we want to proceed? Do the authors (please yell know ;) want
> to do a migration for themself, using a small script or should
> someone of us (Ulf or me probably) should do the migration?
>
> If no one of the authors votes for step 1, than I propose a migration
> using step 2 the next weekend.

Meanwhile I have committed a simple shell script you can use to extract
localized XML files, e.g.

	mkdir -p tmp/xx
	bash tools/profile-xml.sh --srcdir oldsrc --destdir tmp/xx --lang xx

It's just a wrapper for 'xsltproc', and it may be buggy...

> We do need a fixed date anyways, where we start the migration. That
> means, that after the date only the work and the cleanup on the po
> files continues.

After starting the migration we should keep the current multi-lang XML
files up to date untill we definitely know everything works. Do you
mean that with "the work"?

> It's probably a good time to do another release before the
> migration (which would be 2.4.2),

Yes!! :-)

BTW, I think we should remove any entries before 2008-07-30 from the
branches/xml2po-support/ChangeLog file.
And maybe it's a good idea to split (and compress?) the trunk/ChangeLog
file (1.4MB!).

Ulf