Re: background image color

Hi,

2007/9/3, Roman Joost <romanofski@xxxxxxxx>:
On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 01:49:02PM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

> 1)
> > Having a well defined background color (like white) means, that we don't
> > have to care of layout changes :)
>
> and I add
>
> 2) manual figures are visible even with old browsers that do not support png
> transparency
Hm... I wouldn't go that far. Most modern browsers support PNG
transparency. Even the internet explorer. If you're using an old
browser, you should be aware of glitches in the rendered result.

> 3) printing is safe without using special stylesheets (with the risk of
> producing not well visible pages that were not so with dark background..)
> and without using much colour ink (expensive with inkjet and laserprinters).
That's why it's possible to create stylesheets for various medias.
Having a print styleshet isn't too cumbersome to implement.

Agreed. In my opinion is it a pretty stupid idea to print from thousands of html pages, if a perfect printable pdf is just one klick away.

> Please, stylesheet experts, revert the background!
Hm.. reverting the entire screen to white isn't necessary IMO. Just the
figures would be fine...

So lets make the bg of figure bright and see what it looks like. The darkish appeareance is IMHO going to be the new 2.4 style in many places, e.g. gimp.org as well as graphics applications in general and the GIMP fullscreen mode in special - I like the idea of a distinctive 2.4 look (of the manual). Remember, we just started working on the 2.4 manual. There is no need to rush out a new release of the manual in the next couple of weeks. We now lay the foundation for a manual cycle that lasts a couple of years again (til 2.6 will be released).

Greetings, lexA

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de

life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you wanna get.