Re: ANNOUNCE: Gimp User Manual 0.11 released

Hey Axel,

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 03:55:48PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:
> I don't agree,
>
> having the same numbering would just bundle our release-cycle very
> close to the GIMP releases. What if GIMP releases 2.4.25 and the
> manual didn't change since 2.4.24 at all. Do we a new release just
> because GIMP did?  An if we don't the manual seems to be "behind"
> compared to the GIMP.
Oh sorry - this must be a misunderstanding. The coupling is only for the
major number (like 2.2 or the upcoming 2.4). The last number would be
our release number then ...

> I'd really suggest to be careful with the aim to do the same version
> numbering for the manual and GIMP itself.  Why not stick to what Roman
> wrote in the Release Notes: ... manual 0.12 for GIMP 2.2 ... it says
> it all.
Yeh - but the problem is, that most people don't read the release notes
(and sometimes even can't read because they're fetching the release
directly from the FTP or whatever).

> greetings, lexA
>
> ps.: may be we can associate a major version number for the manual to a major version of GIMP. Something like
>
> GIMP 2.2.x documentation is gimp-doc 1.x
> GIMP 2.4.x documentation is gimp-doc 2.x
Thats, what is intended. Because there are major changes between every
stable GIMP version, the package name should reflect this as well.

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de