Re: [Gimp-docs] before (even thinking of) committing to cvs

On Sunday 20 November 2005 10:32 am, Axel Wernicke wrote:
> Hi Marco, Hi list,
>
> Am 20.11.2005 um 02:05 schrieb Marco Ciampa:
> [snipped lots of wisdom]
>
> > Now the problem is: why the people that filed the german
> > translation of the manual do not contributed for the english
> > version? I
> > think that my contributes could only be worse than those of
> > people that
> > wrote those pages, beause of my scarce knowledge of english,
> > german and gimp. I think that those people that are enough
> > acquainted with gimp to be able to write original content in
> > native language could improve
> > the usefulness of those contributes with little effort if they
> > try to write
> > an english version too, leaving to the other people more skilled
> > in wrinting in
> > english the correction task.
> > A grammatical incorrect text is better than no text at all and in
> > this manner,
> > all the other languages people could make a much more complete,
> > and correct work, in his/her native language.
>
> well, that author of the german content has been me. Recently I
> reviewed the filter documentation and added some of the missing
> filter docs. I'm simply not good enough in writing english to write
> a new documentation natively in english. Doing it in german was
> hard enough.
> I don't think this problem can be solved easily. I admit that en is
> somewhat a universal language that every doc writer understands to
> a certain degree. But nevertheless at least I'm able to read but
> not able to write en documentation very well.
> To make changes more transparent each file has history entries as
> comment at the beginning of it. There everybody can see what
> happened to the content recently and who did the changes.
>
> > These are just my 2 cents...
> >
> > PS: I'm glad if someone would like to see my patch before
> > committing it. I do not
> > commit anything if there won't be a 'rough consensus' about my
> > 'method',
> > if someone have some reasons to stop me, please write!
>
> guess any content is appreciated. May be we should consider to
> announce "weak" translations to some proofreaders - do we have such
> for en??

Does docbook have any mark-ups meaning "do not render this"? (like the
Display:None ) CSS property? Or can we have a work-around for that in
our stylesheets, using something like 'class ' attributes in the
mark-up?

I guess that way, contributors of original material in other languages
could always add the English equivalent, doesn't matter how poorly
written - that would be marked as "do not render this", and then,
people able to do so could just fix the English and mark it as
renderable. In the mean time, the poor English material would work as
source for other languages as well.

Regards,

	JS
	-><-