Re: bump-map operation

On Wed, 2013-06-26 at 12:05 +0300, Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> The filter certainly is local as it is only using a 3×3 neighborhood.
> What example op can I look at in order to see exactly what
> requirements I need to fulfill to make the op into an "area filter"
> and make it work with Gimp's GEGL tool? Is this documented anywhere?

I'm not the über-expert myself, but look at the last two functions in
gegl-operation-area-filter.c, I think that's all you need to implement
in bump-map.

> I thought about looking at the NewsPrint plugin next. Or is there some
> other plugin that is more urgent?

That plug-in has a very complex GUI and we have no way just yet to
easily do that with the GEGL tool (with on-canvas preview), also
it's rather esoteric so it probably falls in the category "port
the GIMP plug-in to the new GeglBuffer API in libgimp and done".

My personal favorite is the mosaic plugin because I really like
the effect. That doesn't make it "urgent" tho ;) (If you really
want to do that, there is a patch in bugzilla that adds a configurable
random seed to the GIMP plugin, maybe the port should be done from
a version that includes that patch).

IMO dilate and erode are in the "must have" section for commonly
known generic operations that are missing.

Opinions from anyone?

Regards,
--Mitch