Re: Passing parameter to sampler from XML file

Øyvind Kolås writes:

 > The names for samplers would need some serious thought, linear, cubic
 > and lanczos in current GIMP is already too techical for many users,
 > most people would have no clue what "box" refers to in the suggested
 > names. When exposes as for instance a drop down in the GUI these names
 > need to be translatable into other languages as well.

My first suggestion was

sharperbox
sharpbox
smoothbox
smootherbox

for the samplers (distinct by values of parameters) which are tuned
for downsampling (because these schemes are relatives of exact area
box filtering) and

sharper
sharp
smooth
smoother

for the samplers which are tuned for upsampling. (Note that the former
will do an OK job at upsampling, and the latter, esp "smoother," will
do an OK job at downsampling: I'm talking about "tuning" here.)

Let me guess that you don't want 8 variants in total. So, how about
only using parameter values 0 and 1 (skipping intermediate values) for
each, for a total of four methods?  Does this sound preferable?

With this in mind, here are some suggestions for the "tuned for
downsampling" sampler:

sharpdown and smoothdown

or

sharpthumb and smooththumb

For the ones "tuned for upsampling:"

sharp and smooth

or

sharpup and smoothup

(or

sharper and smoother)

Can you (yes, I mean you) think of better names?

Basically, there are two pairs of samplers to name.

One pair is tuned for downsampling (e.g., producing thumbnails, that
is, producing a smaller version of the original) and the other pair is
tuned for upsampling (enlarging the image), although they both do an
OK job for all warps.

Within each pair, there is an interpolatory one (a "sharper" version
of the scheme) and one which has stronger antialiasing by way of
"special" smoothing (a "smoother" version of the scheme).

Nicolas Robidoux
Laurentian University