Re: Passing parameter to sampler from XML file

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Nicolas
Robidoux<nrobidoux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Adam Turcotte and Eric Daoust are implementing samplers (alternatives
> to nearest neighbour, bilinear, bicubic, lanczos... interpolation),
> names snohalo1 (tuned for upsampling) and nohalobox (tuned for
> downsampling), which both have a natural parameter.  This parameter is
> basically the amount of extra antialiasing which is applied. The way
> the extra antialiasing is done is with a customized blurring operator
> in the case of snohalo1, and by enlarging the integration box (like
> for exact area box filtering) for nohalobox.
>
> Adam is nearly done (fingers crossed) implementing the paramter so
> that it is settable through xml commands.
>
> My question:
>
> We've settled on the name "blur" for this paramter, because for most
> people this is the visible effect, and I think most people understand
> that blurring can be useful to smooth out "jaggies."
>
> Would you guys prefer another name for this visible parameter?
> "Antialiasing," for example, seems like a good candidate, although it
> sounds a little too technical to my taste.

I would feel more comfortable if this parameter was not exposed, but
rather that sane presets were added and given names. In most cases the
additional properties of for instance a displacement map operation
might be visual and conceptual clutter getting in the users way. When
it comes to naming it; I think perhaps smoothing is a good candidate.

                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/