Re: Passing parameter to sampler from XML file

Øyvind Kolås writes:

 > I would feel more comfortable if this parameter was not exposed, but
 > rather that sane presets were added and given names. In most cases the
 > additional properties of for instance a displacement map operation
 > might be visual and conceptual clutter getting in the users way. When
 > it comes to naming it; I think perhaps smoothing is a good candidate.

You mean, like the "type" for gegl-sampler-cubic, which sets the B and
C values based on named bicubic variants?

For example, nohalo1 (same result as snohalo1 with smoothing = 0, but
runs faster) would be "sharper", snohalo1 with smoothing = 1 would be
"smoother", and snohalo1 with smoothing = .5 would be "halfandhalf,"
or something kind of like that?

Likewise with nohalobox (the scheme tuned for downsampling)?

You can see samples of what "sharper" and "smoother" would be at
http://gsoc.rivetsforbreakfast.com/enlargements.html

Note that because s/nohalo is nonlinear, smoothing = .5 does not give
the average of the sharper and smoother results.

(Note that levels more or less correspond to quality level. Higher
levels are not yet implemented.)

This was my vision (hubris?) or where this would all eventually go
(keeping the smoothing parameter visible):

There would be a slider corresponding to the amount of custom
smoothing being applied (of course, this would do nothing to nearest
neighbour and bilinear) for s/nohalo and nohalobox.

The user would look at the results (depends on noisiness of resampled
image, whether there is much warping going on or only up/downsampling,
whether there are a lot of text/perfectly horizontal/vertical lines,
amount of visibly annoying aliasing, whether it's for print or the
web, etc) and adjust the slider until, hopefully, she are happy.

Comments?

Nicolas Robidoux
University Laurentienne