Re: Perf tools evaluation and proposal

Hi again Henrik,

2009/6/22 Henrik Akesson <h.m.akesson@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Currently, I have a simple ruby test harness and a guassian-blur test
> that I use to generate test data with Valgrind.

Ah, OK, sorry, I'd only seen the report, I didn't realise you had
something concrete going already. I was worried there might not be
much to see at mid-term.

Your proposal sounds good to me, well done.

> However, I will not have the time to set up a test suite before
> mid-term. Therefore I propose to start that ASAP after the mid-term.

On the performance tests, a senario I've used in the past is described here:

http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Benchmarks

It's derived from a real application which took high-resolution master
images off a server and generated files for printing on a large-format
inkjet. It might be a bit fiddly to implement. A much simpler version
is here:

http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Speed_and_Memory_Use

This is just: load, crop, shrink, sharpen, save. It's not very
demanding, but it is very easy to implement, and typical of
applications like Picasa or F-Spot. It might be helpful I guess.

I'm sure the gimp list could suggest an application benchmark that
would be typical of GEGL use in Gimp.

John