Re: Perf tools evaluation and proposal

John,

Hmm, I'm not sure I've expressed myself clearly...

Currently, I have a simple ruby test harness and a guassian-blur test
that I use to generate test data with Valgrind. For the valgrind part,
I plan on using all the measurements callgrind + cachegrind can
provide. Oprofile is much more complicated (as there's a choice of
roughly 80 measurements and because it's based on statistical
sampling).

This is why I focus on valgrind for mid-term. Paying attention to your
concern, I propose to start with a very simple web-interface (using
text when possible instead of fancy graphics etc...) and then working
towards improving it.

However, I will not have the time to set up a test suite before
mid-term. Therefore I propose to start that ASAP after the mid-term.

I intend to produce a fully functional suite based on Valgrind before
starting with oprofile, as I estimate the latter as the "high-risk"
part of the project. Like that I can guarantee you a working tool-set
using valgrind and hopefully also something that can provide the
"bells-and-whistles" of oprofile.

Does this seem reasonable to you?

Henrik