Re: Perf tools evaluation and proposal

The main differences of my solution compared to KCachegrind are:

I would use a database approach allowing to display performance
history. I.e. in the case of a drop in performance, a developer would
be able to localise it to a certain commit. Also useful for comparing
the performance of two different solutions during development.

The aggregation of counter, IMHO is very important for understanding
what the processor is doing. It is a very difficult task, and just
having data from 2-8 counters is like providing only a small window on
a big complex image.

I think that you could summarize kcachegrind as a tool that shows you
all the data whereas the approach I propose is to show as little data
as possible in order to localise performance issues and when found
showing the full image of what the processor is doing.

IMHO KCachegrind is not easy to use nor understand (ex: what does
"Distance 6-11 (6)" mean? etc...)

My solution is web based.

I believe that this is enough of differences to justify a new tool. Is
it to you?

Henrik