Re: GPU support

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 2:22 AM, utkarsh shukla <utk.shukla@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry from my side if you felt something. I did not mean to hurt you.
> Obviously you must be better than me.

It's okay, no harm taken.  :)

> Well by the minimap I mean you create a mapping of what part of buffer data
> is where, wether it is processed in CPU or in GPU or over the  network. By
> this way You reduce the tranfer of data. Basically in GPU the costliest
> thing is the Data transfer than the processing.
> I dont feel such thing is used frequently but if you want to make a unified
> memory architechture then it would be much better. This thing will easily
> fit into the GEGL api.

I see.  This minimap thing greatly interests me.  I have been
searching through Google for anything related to the minimaps you were
talking about, but to no avail.  All the results seem to refer to game
minimaps only.  Do you have, by any chance, some helpful references
for them?

Actually, it's kinda funny that this appeared in our conversation.
Richard T. and I, in a different conversation, were just talking about
tile/rectangle-level parallelization.  Actually, as it currently
stands, GEGL doesn't seem to support concurrent operations on
different tiles/rectangles.  Reading through the source, especially
through GeglBuffer's source, I was made to assume that the buffer
doesn't really need to execute different operations on
tiles/rectangles in different devices (e.g. GPUs, CPUs, etc.) because
support for such isn't really there in the sources yet.

What I had in mind for GPU-support was to store all cached tiles in
GPU memory, relying in the cache to actually minimize CPU to GPU
transfers (and vice versa).  I wasn't able to think of a setup wherein
different tiles could be stored in and processed by different devices.
 Perhaps, I could better explain this if you understand GEGL's buffer
architecture.  I'm going to post another article for that, but had
originally planned to include some of my proposed changes for
GPU-support.  I'm going to post the article anyway without my proposed
changes.  I think it might help.

Setting all that aside, I still don't know if introducing
tile/rectangle-level parallelization is something that I could take
on.  Minimaps are indeed interesting, If my basic understanding of
them is correct.  But I would have to set that aside as of now..
Unless someone steps-up to implement them?  :)  Then maybe we could
implement both tile/rectangle-level and pixel-level parallelization
all at the same time...  Sweetness.  :)

Kind regards,
Daerd