Re: GSoC suggested project: OpenGL GPU resampling in GEGL

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 6:32 AM, Nicolas Robidoux
<nrobidoux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
imp.org/gimp/SummerOfCode2009ideas#head-c616d78ee5dc03ae28707de7fadf0b1fa8ecfb66

> OpenGL GPU resampling in GEGL
>
>    *
>
>      Suggested by: Nicolas Robidoux (nicolas)
>    *
>
>      Mentored by: Nicolas and Minglun Gong and whoever else wants to help
>
> The nohalo (gegl-sampler-sharp.c) resampler has been successfully programmed in HLSL/DirectX. For DVD to HDTV upsampling, it gets a performance comparable to hardware bilinear (between 12% and 93%). As a baby step toward GEGL rendering on the GPU, it may be a good thing to move nohalo to OpenGL and then interfacing the GPU version with GEGL. The "higher" versions of nohalo are currently being programmed in HLSL, so these could be moved to OpenGL + GEGL as well. Yet another variant, snohalo, particularly suitable for "text like" CG graphics, is also easily implemented.
>
> (Nicolas: I don't have any idea how to interface GPU-based resampling with GEGL. This project is likely to require a very resourceful student and/or the input of more "senior" GEGL developers.)
>
> Needed skills: OpenGL + GPU programming + C programming + GObjects + the usual (svn etc)

Doing this basically requires writing a GPU backend for GeglBuffer and
having the plan and understanding for how to integrate GEGL with the
GPU. Adding custom resamplers like this sounds like a small thing
compared to the other work that would need to be done to enable
starting working on the specific topic.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/