GSoC suggested project: OpenGL GPU resampling in GEGL

Hello:

Someone has expressed interest in the following project:

I would like to double check that this project makes sense. If the
student is committed to GPU programming for GEGL, is there something
else which would be "better" (given that if it falls outside of
resampling I won't mentor it, and also that really I have no clue
about how to build a GEGL-GPU interface)?

Here is a cut and paste from

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/SummerOfCode2009ideas#head-c616d78ee5dc03ae28707de7fadf0b1fa8ecfb66

OpenGL GPU resampling in GEGL

    *

      Suggested by: Nicolas Robidoux (nicolas)
    *

      Mentored by: Nicolas and Minglun Gong and whoever else wants to help

The nohalo (gegl-sampler-sharp.c) resampler has been successfully programmed in HLSL/DirectX. For DVD to HDTV upsampling, it gets a performance comparable to hardware bilinear (between 12% and 93%). As a baby step toward GEGL rendering on the GPU, it may be a good thing to move nohalo to OpenGL and then interfacing the GPU version with GEGL. The "higher" versions of nohalo are currently being programmed in HLSL, so these could be moved to OpenGL + GEGL as well. Yet another variant, snohalo, particularly suitable for "text like" CG graphics, is also easily implemented.

(Nicolas: I don't have any idea how to interface GPU-based resampling with GEGL. This project is likely to require a very resourceful student and/or the input of more "senior" GEGL developers.)

Needed skills: OpenGL + GPU programming + C programming + GObjects + the usual (svn etc)

nicolas