Re: Introduction

On 10/20/06, Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Welcome reasamp!

The first thing you should do is to read up on the type system and object
oriented framework used in GEGL, GIMP and lots and lots of other
applications, namely <a
href="" href="http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gobject/index.html"> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gobject/index.html">GObject</a>.

Thanks. I was already reading through the GLib API, but this one seems to be a much better starting point. And yes, as you said my familiarity with C++ seems to be helping. Just to confirm, the major extra feature I saw in this library was that of dynamic type registration ... something not provided by native C++ language symantecs. Is there any other part of the library I should pay special attention to?

I checked out the CVS codebase, and have started going through it. My lack of familiarity with Glib is producing the predictable hinderence, but I think I can start getting used to things as I work on them. I will appreciate it if someone guides me into the various parts of the code ... what's where etc. but really, given the time I can figure out some of that by myself. What I cannot do on myself is know more about the actual algorithms and techniques involved. Some references would definitely help here.

And once again, thanks to Martin Nordholts for his prompt reply.

reasamp