Re: Build error on Solaris 10 (libiconv messages)

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Dennis Clarke wrote:
>  Dennis Clarke wrote:
> > >  Any ideas how I might solve this?
>  libiconv in /usr/local and given the appropiate flags to the configure
>  script
> > --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local > > and it did build. > > But as far as I could tell, there is no libiconv as part of Solaris. So
>  if gcc needs it, the documentation should be updated to reflect this.

 You can get an up to date libiconv from blastwave.org :

Thank you. I found I seem to have a directory /usr/lib/iconv on Suns. I was trying to find a way to build a gcc which required the least dependancies as possible.

iconv is part of libc on Solaris (like on Linux). However, as many people either prefer the GNU implementation or don't understand the issue, one can usually find a libiconv on Solaris systems. You then have two versions of the header iconv.h, and need to be consistent in the library you link with. If you include the system iconv.h, you are fine. If you include the one from libiconv, you need to link with libiconv. As many people install gnu software in /usr/local and gcc looks there by default, people end up using the iconv.h from libiconv without meaning to.

Hope this helps,

--
Marc Glisse