Re: Build error on Solaris 10 (libiconv messages)

Dennis Clarke wrote:
Dennis Clarke wrote:
Any ideas how I might solve this?

Try putting -liconv into LDFLAGS.

Thank you,

  by the time I'd read your message, I'd realised there was a copy of
libiconv in /usr/local and given the appropiate flags to the configure
script

--with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local

and it did build.

But as far as I could tell, there is no libiconv as part of Solaris. So
if gcc needs it, the documentation should be updated to reflect this.

You can get an up to date libiconv from blastwave.org :

Thank you. I found I seem to have a directory /usr/lib/iconv on Suns. I was trying to find a way to build a gcc which required the least dependancies as possible.

The maths program Sage

http://www.sagemath.org/

does not currently build easily on Solaris. It's possible, but a nightmare, and fails certain tests. The Sage team have taken the stop of basically including *everyone* one needs to get Sage running. So if it need some library 'foobar', rather than you download it, Sage includes the source to foobar, along with any patches that might be needed to get it configured to suite Sage.

Since on Solaris, it is finicky about the compiler, the plan is to actually produce a package for Sage which builds gcc the way needed. Hence I was looking for a way to build gcc using the bare minimum of dependancies.

Libiconv is not listed as a prequisite for gcc, which initially I thought was a mistake, as I could not find it on my Sun. But it appears to be in a directory /usr/lib/iconv. I've not tried linking against the files in there - I'd already done it for iconv in /usr/local/lib, but I'd rather not have to download libiconv unless it is really necessary, which it may well not be.