Re: Build error on Solaris 10 (libiconv messages)

>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>>   by the time I'd read your message, I'd realised there was a copy of
>>> libiconv in /usr/local and given the appropiate flags to the configure
>>> script
>>>
>>> --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local
>>>
>>> and it did build.
>>>
>>> But as far as I could tell, there is no libiconv as part of Solaris. So
>>> if gcc needs it, the documentation should be updated to reflect this.
>>
>> You can get an up to date libiconv from blastwave.org :
>
> Thank you. I found I seem to have a directory /usr/lib/iconv on Suns. I
> was trying to find a way to build a gcc which required the least
> dependancies as possible.
>
> The maths program Sage

yes, I know it well. Or at least I know of your pains.

> http://www.sagemath.org/
>
> does not currently build easily on Solaris.

no kidding. :-(

> It's possible, but a
> nightmare, and fails certain tests. The Sage team have taken the stop of
> basically including *everyone* one needs to get Sage running. So if it
> need some library 'foobar', rather than you download it, Sage includes
> the source to foobar, along with any patches that might be needed to get
> it configured to suite Sage.
>
> Since on Solaris, it is finicky about the compiler, the plan is to
> actually produce a package for Sage which builds gcc the way needed.
> Hence I was looking for a way to build gcc using the bare minimum of
> dependancies.

like so ?

$ /opt/csw/gcc4/bin/gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: sparc-sun-solaris2.8
Configured with: ../gcc-4.3.3/configure --with-gnu-as
--with-as=/opt/csw/bin/gas --with-gnu-ld --with-ld=/opt/csw/bin/gld
--with-cpu=v7 --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --prefix=/opt/csw/gcc4
--with-local-prefix=/opt/csw --enable-shared --enable-multilib
--with-included-gettext --with-libiconv-prefix=/opt/csw --with-system-zlib
--with-gmp=/opt/csw --with-mpfr=/opt/csw
--enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,ada --enable-bootstrap
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.3.3 (GCC)

$ ldd -r /opt/csw/gcc4/bin/gcc
        libiconv.so.2 =>         /opt/csw/lib/libiconv.so.2
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        /usr/platform/SUNW,UltraAX-i2/lib/libc_psr.so.1

see the libiconv there ?

> Libiconv is not listed as a prequisite for gcc, which initially I
> thought was a mistake, as I could not find it on my Sun. But it appears
> to be in a directory /usr/lib/iconv. I've not tried linking against the
> files in there - I'd already done it for iconv in /usr/local/lib, but
> I'd rather not have to download libiconv unless it is really necessary,
> which it may well not be.

good luck with that and let me know how you proceed , I really do want to
know.

--
Dennis Clarke