Re: g77 debian lenny

Mathew Peet wrote:

> For my part I dont understand why the support of f77 has ended since
> many useful codes are available to us which have been written using that
> compiler, it is a pain for a new person to come along and have to update
> when the output has been already tested.
>
> Thanks for reply and useful information, I am keen to find a better
> solution than my one above. Is it very useful to have this program
> available even if we need to migrate to gfortran of fort77 which are
> implimenting the standards in a different way!

gfortran is upward compatible from g77 to the maximum extent possible.
Where there isn't upward compatibility, it's because g77 had some
extensions which weren't compatible with standards.  One would hope those
have no effect on you.  You can read about this, and other historical
questions, starting with gfortran wiki.