Re: getting started

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:37 AM, John Keays <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To GNU Help line
>
> I have had an old GNU F2c set up on my old computer and the machine died.
>
> I still have some f2c.exe and a special f2c.dll that i linked to the fortran.
>
> Now I have download cygwin and that seems to have a UNIX style window with
> the old dollar sign prompt. But the normal f2c commands don't work.
>
> Whats my next step.
But do you need F2C itself or you need to compile F77 programs ?

- Cygwin from the box has 'g77' (of gcc 3.4 installation) which can be used to
  compile F77 programs.
- Probably your old F2C program was run on windows without the Cygwin
in past. It is
  possible it will be easier to use MinGW  (www.mingw.org) for
compilation in such case,
  and then put your f2c.DLL into c:\windows32\system or something like
  (I don't remember where exactly it is and I don't currently have
access to Windows) from
  where it will be picked up automatically on your program loading.
- I am sure you can compile and lynk F2C based programs on Cygwin, but
in order to
  know how do you link f2c.DLL to cygwin's GCC compiled program you probably
  have to ask on Cygwin's mailing list (http://cygwin.com/lists.html) .

Regards,
  Dima.