Re: getting started

> We ended up modifying some of the libraries and got the "C" code to work
> under Visual Studio 6.  We had special libraries for the GNU C and for the
> "C" component of the graphics libraries. All I want is the old fortran to
> work under Visual Studio and call the old graphics library.  The Fortran
> is pure F77.  I got a FTN95 compiler but its a totally new system with a
> long learning curve.

1) -- F2C --
The F2C (from http://www.netlib.org/f2c, both libf2c.a and the executable)
passes compilation on GCC 4.1.2 (that I have) without even one warning,
simply by typing "GNUmake -f makefile.u".
You can add -fPIC option and produce shared library.

2)  -- Your special libs --
If you can compile and use your "special" C code on GCC, then you can work
on any platform GCC is installed on. Otherwise you will be bound to
Visual Studio,
of which I have little knowledge. MinGW project should ensure interoperability
with libraries compiled on Visual Studio. DJGPP (http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/)
should too... Last time I compiled anything on Windows was in 2004, I had to :)

Regards,
  Dima.