Re: Building gcc-4.2.4 on Solaris 9

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Jay <jayk123@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Jay <jayk123@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [D] Before I try your suggestions, another question:  It seems like
> [D] setting BOOT_CFLAGS to include "-m64" should do what I want.  The
> Maybe. I don't know.
> I should clarify, that another thing i would try, which might
> have the advantage of
>  - working vs. not-working
>  - leaving you with more functionality installed in the end, maybe for the
> same time cost

I'm still barking up the BOOT_CFLAGS tree.  This time it made it to
stage3, so that's progress.  However, it runs into a similar issue,
but in a different place:

cannes [fixincludes]$ make
/export/data/software/cradle/build/gcc/objdir/./gcc/xgcc
-B/export/data/software/cradle/build/gcc/objdir/./gcc/
-B/data/software/devtools/gcc-4.2.4-sparc-sun-solaris2.9/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/bin/
-B/data/software/devtools/gcc-4.2.4-sparc-sun-solaris2.9/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/lib/
-isystem /data/software/devtools/gcc-4.2.4-sparc-sun-solaris2.9/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/include
-isystem /data/software/devtools/gcc-4.2.4-sparc-sun-solaris2.9/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/sys-include
-O2 -g   -o fixincl fixincl.o fixtests.o fixfixes.o server.o
procopen.o fixlib.o fixopts.o ../libiberty/libiberty.a
ld: warning: file ../libiberty/libiberty.a(regex.o): wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
fdopen_unlocked                     fixincl.o
freopen_unlocked                    fixincl.o
xmalloc_set_program_name            fixincl.o
_sch_istable                        fixincl.o
xrealloc                            server.o
xregcomp                            fixlib.o
xregexec                            fixincl.o
xstrerror                           fixincl.o
xregerror                           fixlib.o
_sch_toupper                        fixfixes.o
xcalloc                             fixincl.o
xmalloc                             fixincl.o
xstrdup                             server.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to fixincl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [full-stamp] Error 1

So part of it is buiding 64-bit objects, and part is still diong
32-bit.  The BOOT_CFLAGS isn't propogating correctly, perhaps.

It might be helpful to hear from one of the gcc developers.   Should
putting -m64 in BOOT_CFLAGS work?  If so, this may be a bug.  If not,
what's the Right Way to bootstrap a 64-bit gcc (i.e. 64-bit gcc, cc1,
etc. executables linked against 64-bit libmprf and libgmpon) on a
64-bit Solaris 9 system starting with the Sun Studio cc?

Thanks!

For now I think I'll hand-edit the Makefiles and see if I can get it
to progress further.

-David

--
David Eisner http://cradle.brokenglass.com