Re: performance issue questions

If your program detects duplicates updates the mtime of the directories, that triggers to rebuild caches as I said earlier. that isn't "nothing changed".

Anyway, we may need to think about this again. for instance, adding an API to enable/disable the cache updates automatically in fontconfig or get rid of it completely and giving a responsibility to the applications to do it may be good perhaps.