Re: performance issue questions

Akira TAGOH <akira@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> what if some processes is updating the same cache?
> what if some processes are updating caches for additions during updating
> caches for deletion? and so on. FWIW this isn't a paranoid. is examples
> actually happened in the past.

The code was designed so that the cache could be computed in parallel by
many processes, but that some process would see the 'current' state of
the system and write a correct cache file.

I remain mystified as to why this doesn't actually work; is it file
systems with coarse (1s) timestamps causing troubles? Or can someone
construct a sequence of operations which cannot be satisfied by this
process, even with arbitrarily precise timestamps?

--
-keith