Re: performance issue questions

Akira TAGOH <akira@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> fc-cache might be multi-threading but I'm not sure if writing caches is the
> thread-safety nor worth doing so. and if we do, doing it as a single
> process like demonizing may be better, to avoid complication.

We might as well just stop attempting to automatically manage the caches
and require that users run fc-cache manually whenever they change the
set of installed fonts. That would push the whole problem out of
fontconfig and onto the user or distribution...

Although, I wonder if doing some per-directory locking while scanning
might not help with this; essentially have one process hold a lock on
the directory while scanning and make other processes wait for the lock
to go away (with a timeout).

--
-keith