Re: buffer-cache builds up with invalidate=1 too

On 10/28/2017 02:37 AM, Paolo Valente wrote:

>> Il giorno 27 ott 2017, alle ore 16:21, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>>
>> On 10/27/2017 12:52 AM, Paolo Valente wrote:
>>> [RESENDING, BECAUSE REJECTED BY THE VGER]

>> See my followup, fio already does invalidates for each open. The
>> problem with time_based was that we just reset the file, we don't
>> close and re-open it. That was fixed in git:
>>
>> commit 0bcf41cdc22dfee6b3f3b2ba9a533b4b103c70c2
>> Author: Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date:   Thu Oct 26 12:08:20 2017 -0600
>>
>>    io_u: re-invalidate cache when looping around without file open/close
>>
>> so current git should work for your test case. Please test.
>>

> Tested, it does solve the problem.  As a side note, and if useful for
> you, the throughput is much higher with sequential reads and direct=0
> (4.14-rc5, virtual disk on an SSD).  It happens because of merges,
> which seem to not occur with direct=1.  I thought direct I/O skipped
> buffering, but still enjoyed features as request merging, but probably
> I'm just wrong.

What does your job file look like? If you have something like bs=4k,
then it's readahead saving your bacon with buffered. For O_DIRECT
and bs=4k, each IO is sync, so it's hard/impossible to get merging.
You need batched submission for that, through libaio for instance.

--
Jens Axboe