buffer-cache builds up with invalidate=1 too

Hi,
in a time_based test with direct=0, a small file happened to be read several times. Yet I/O was actually done only when the file was read for the first time, even if invalidate was set.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the buffer cache still builds up even if invalidate is set, right?

Then, in a time_based test, the only way to make sure that I/O is constantly done, is to use direct=1, isn't it? Of course, unless the file is so large that one knows that no portion of the file will be found in the buffer cache when read again.

Thanks,
Paolo--