Re: buffer-cache builds up with invalidate=1 too

> Il giorno 23 ott 2017, alle ore 20:26, Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 23 October 2017 at 11:02, Paolo Valente <paolo.valente@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> in a time_based test with direct=0, a small file happened to be read several times. Yet I/O was actually done only when the file was read for the first time, even if invalidate was set.
>>
>> So, if I'm not mistaken, the buffer cache still builds up even if invalidate is set, right?
>
> Correct - invalidate just invalidates the cache at the "beginning"
> (see http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-invalidate
> ).

Hi,
thank you very much for answering this and my other question
thoroughly!

Maybe I would specify, in the description of invalidate, that the
invalidation is not repeated in case the I/O on a file restarts from
the beginning go the file.

Thanks,
Paolo