Re: 2.1.2 released

On 07.08.2013 14:26, Erwan Velu wrote:
On 07/08/2013 13:14, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

[...]
I tested the version from the erwan/next branch and the --iops option
works now and if I don't provide it I get a proper error. Although
when I provide a nonsense option like "--fnsofno" I get the error
"Error: One of the option passed to the cmdline was supported". That
is probably supposed to say "was not supported".
This is now fixed in my branch.... silly typo.

The graphing seems to have issues too. I attached a job file and the
graphs generated using "./fio2gnuplot.py -d t -g -i". As you can see
in the compare-2Draw graph I get multiple lines for the test4k and
test8k jobs but not for the test16k job and in the compare-2Dtrend
graph I get strange loops for the same two out of three jobs. The 3D
graph looks strange too and shows "disks" which doesn't really apply
in this particular case.
Waow... I ran this test on my local setup with fio 2.1.2 and this
doesn't occurs.... I do have the 3 lines perfectly printed.
That's maybe a gnuplot effect.
Can you provide the version of gnuplot you use and the log files ?
I'm running 4.6 patchlevel 1

I attached the iops logs used and the Gnuplot is version 4.6.1 on Fedora 18 (Package name "gnuplot-4.6.1-4.fc18.x86_64").

Lastly the tool does output a lot of things by default which are
probably not useful to 99.9% of the people out there.
This is now fixed in my branch.

I think the default should be to only output the 2Draw and the 3D
graph and delete the data files (mygraph, mymath, etc.) and allow the
user to keep these files and create the additional graphs using
command line options.
Fixed in my branch. Default is to kill temp files if gnuplot success
unless keep them. If user ask to keep them using -k option, let's always
keep them.
That shall solve your issue.

I just tested this and for me it works as advertized. Thanks!

In fact in the case of multiple input files it would probably be best
to only end up with the compate-2Draw graph as the graphs for the
individual jobs are pretty much redundant in that case.
That really depends on people's usage. Some could be interested at
publishing the compare-* graphs but need to understand some traces if
weird effects occurs. I did develop all thoses graphs with a "pick the
one you need" approach.

Yes I do plot too much but this avoids having too much options to pass
to the tool. People have just to pick the one they need.

I have thought about this a bit and wonder if it would be useful to to use a job file similar to the fio job files to describe which graphs to render and which parameters to use. Example:

[global]
output_dir=test
min_time=0
max_time=-1

[graph1]
type=individual
interpolation=raw
title="raw iops"
pattern="*_iops.log"

[graph2]
type=grouped2d
interpolation=smooth
title="smooth iops summary"
pattern="*_iops.log"

Doing it this way would allow fio2gnuplot to be invoked like "fio2gnuplot -c/--config file.fiograph" so no complex command line arguments would be necessary and the user could easily customize which graphs are generated.

Regards,
  Dennis
500, 8716, 0, 0
1000, 8760, 0, 0