Re: VMware Server configuration question

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 22:25 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 15:19 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 12:20 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > > We ran into this quite a while back and decided to stop trying to fight
> > > the battle.
> > >
> > > ...So we switched everything over to ESXi Free Edition and haven't
> > > looked back since. Runs great - in fact quite a bit better than VMware
> > > Server at this point. Most likely this is because it's much more
> >
> > Chris,
> >
> > Time for me to waive the Ignorance flag... I'm not familiar with ESXi
> > Free Edition, but I'm downloading it now. Can you give me an off-list
> > summary of how it differs from Server? Have you successfully installed
> > it under F13beta?
>
> Sure...!
>
> ESXi Free Edition is the free version of VMware ESX/ESXi Server - the
> same one that comes in their flagship vSphere 4. It does have several
> features that are disabled compared to the full version of ESXi though,
> but is still very solid as an entry level platform.

[snip]

> Since our servers are dedicated virtualization hosts, this isn't a
> problem for me.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Cheers,

Chris,

So, if I understand you correctly, ESXi would replace F13 as the host
OS. If I wanted to run F13 I would have to install it as a guest. I
could also install the SIFT client as another guest. Probably a ragged
analogy, but that would make ESXi rather like a CaTV settop box that
allows me to watch any installed guest I want??

--Doc