Re: Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Christopher Beland wrote:
On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 07:31 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
Killing the desktop doesn't also take out the mail server, the files server(s), the print server, the internet gateway, the database server, DNS, and it also doesn't take anything like as long to restart stuff.

I would much rather kill the desktop than the entire system.

Of course!  But does that mean that when it's "only" the desktop that
gets wiped out, you'll say, "Oh, well, at least it didn't take down the
whole system; no need to report that bug"?

Whether I report depends not at all on the consequences or severity of the bug. There is one example I mentioned here of a KVM guest hanging, which I did not report because that was the extent of the information.

Likewise, I just attempted to install C5 in a KVM guest. This is on the system I mentioned this morning as not having updated its onscreen clock since 22:22:17 - a period of ten hours or so.

I can report the host has sprung to life again, the Debian guest (the one that used to hang) is still running. The load average was a mere 50, with oodles of free RAM. The problem is the install died immediately after installing bash, so the entire effort is a dead loss, the only way forward is to start again. Oh, the VM had shut down and the virt* software had detached and forgotten about the ISO image (I thought that problem was fixed). I won't be reporting that one either, as there is little for the programmer I used to be to work on.

"It doesn't work."
"What doesn't work?"
"I don't know."

-B.