Re: Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 23:16 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
 > Yes, as one fellow said on Fedora forums (about the removal of root
login in GDM) "Do I hear the sound of training wheels being welded
into
place?
Oh, so it wasn't me being senile.

So one can install a system with only a root account, and then can't logon. Absolutely brrriliant!!. And absolutely pointless when root can
login at a console!

The normal install process asks you to create a non-root user. And
people who know what they're talking about strongly recommend not
running a full desktop as root. Logging into a console as root is a
significantly different situation.

Plus of course you can still do it if you want. In fact kdm doesn't stop
you, just gdm.

Have you actually read the discussion about this (I mean on this list,
not upsteam)?

No, I just thought I was going even more senile when I had the problem. A lot of my systems are for testing and can be discarded at will. There are no other users around, there are no internet-facing services, two or more layers of firewall and I don't use torrents or the like.

That aside, any security afforded by prohibiting root logins is minimal. It used to be said X was feeble and prone to falling over at the drop of a hat and enabling all kinds of mean and nasty things to take place. That really isn't so any more.

Finally, when all is said and done, security is _my_ problem. I do expect that any sensible operating system will include tools to manage security and documentation of those tools, but it should be _my_ choice whether root can login, whether control-alt-bs kills X and whether system-req+B does an instant reboot.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait