Re: Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

John Summerfield wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:

Finally, when all is said and done, security is _my_ problem.

Depends. People usually crack a system and then use it as a gateway to crack other systems. Then it becomes more of a global issue.

I neglected to mention, I've seen some cracked Linux system. The presence of X or equivalent (were it present) was completely irrelevant.

In general, it is a good security principle to only install what is necessary but I was replying to your point about GDM disabling root access by default. It does make a pretty big difference if your system is running as root all the time or if you are using your system with elevated privileges when not necessary.

http://www.bress.net/blog/archives/133-Security-Week-in-Review-2009-02-01.html

Rahul