Re: ReiserFS 3.6

Justin Conover wrote:

On 1/16/06, *Justin Conover* <justin.conover@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:justin.conover@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 1/16/06, *Jim Cornette* < fct-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:fct-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Rahul Sundaram wrote:
 goemon@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:goemon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> goemon@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:goemon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Yes, but you will need to disable selinux. selinux does not
        run well
>>> (or really, at all) on anything except ext3 at the moment.
>>> But I have had enough problems with selinux even on ext3
        that I
>>> usually install with selinux disabled anyway. Maybe by FC6
        all the
>>> selinux issues will be sorted out for production servers :)
>>

>> Hmm. Does that mean that hundreds of thousands of RHEL 4
        systems

        https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=MODIFIED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=REOPENED&field0-0-0=product&type0-0-0=substring&value0-0-0=selinux&field0-0-1=component&type0-0-1=substring&value0-0-1=selinux&field0-0-2=short_desc&type0-0-2=substring&value0-0-2=selinux&field0-0-3=status_whiteboard&type0-0-3=substring&value0-0-3=selinux
        <https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=MODIFIED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=REOPENED&field0-0-0=product&type0-0-0=substring&value0-0-0=selinux&field0-0-1=component&type0-0-1=substring&value0-0-1=selinux&field0-0-2=short_desc&type0-0-2=substring&value0-0-2=selinux&field0-0-3=status_whiteboard&type0-0-3=substring&value0-0-3=selinux>

 Production systems do not mean bug free. If so there are no
        production
 systems at all. Just look at the number of bugs filed against
        any of the
 major components like Kernel, Openoffice.org
        <http://Openoffice.org>. Evolution etc and you
 would find that bug reports are not by itself a decisive
        factor. You
 also include bugs in NEEDINFO which requires information from
        the bug
 reporter. NEW bugs are unconfirmed ones. MODIFIED ones might
        require
 confirmation from the reporter before being closed.  There are
        invalid
 bug reports and feature enhancements as well in there.  Nobody
        claimed
 the components are bug free.

        Does ReiserFS handle SELinux content now? I seem to recall that a
        filesystem other than ext2 / ext3 was capable of accomidating
        SELinux
        content. Is the progress less than expected by this date?

        Regarding SELinux, it has problems, but the problems are usually
        dealt
        with quickly when information can be supplied to pinpoint where the
        adjustments that need to be made. I find SELinux still to be rather
        cryptic. It does however ease worries a bit that critical
        services and
        processes are protected better than possible on a system where
        SELinux
        is not used.

        Jim

        --

    XFS has also been supported.

I should mention if your going to use xfs, you should use it on fs afterwards with ext3 on /boot and / Reason being is xfs with selinux should use inode size 512 instead of default 256

mkfs.xfs -i size=512

Thanks! I'll probably create an xfs volume for non-critical content with 512 just to test the filesystem out. I have some content that the 512 requirement would not matter a great deal.

Jim

--
We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity -- so UP yours, Microsoft!