Re: ReiserFS 3.6

Hi

Does ReiserFS handle SELinux content now? I seem to recall that a filesystem other than ext2 / ext3 was capable of accomidating SELinux content. Is the progress less than expected by this date?

Yes. It does. Along with XFS too I believe. There was a recent patch to fix some compatibility issues with MLS and non MLS systems as reported in LWN earlier.

http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=e517a0cd859ae0c4d9451107113fc2b076456f8f

Regarding SELinux, it has problems, but the problems are usually dealt with quickly when information can be supplied to pinpoint where the adjustments that need to be made. I find SELinux still to be rather cryptic. It does however ease worries a bit that critical services and processes are protected better than possible on a system where SELinux is not used.

The reference policy (http://serefpolicy.sourceforge.net/) included in this release is expected to improve that a lot by helping to add policy information to the packages themselves and using loadable modules to add additional fflexibility by allowing better management of site specific customizations. Firstboot and system-config-securitylevel allows you to tweak SELinux booleans to add much of the flexibility required already. Bug reports in bugzilla related to SELinux in Fedora are usually responded to in a swift fashion. Discussion in fedora-selinux list have also had a good noise/signal ratio. We expect to provide better documentation in additional to the Fedora SELinux FAQ and RHEL SELinux guides.

--
Rahul