Re: [Proposal] Dropping YYYY-MM-DD from Test Day Page Title

On Mon, 2023-03-06 at 19:33 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 6:00 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > The wikitcms parser relies on the YYYY-MM-DD part of the title,
> > so if we change this I would have to rewrite the parser to handle two
> > different types of test day page, which is a pain.
>

> OK, that's unfortunate. Why two types? Couldn't all test days be handled
> through infobox parsing? Perhaps the code could be copied from testdays.

Well, the way you get a TestDayPage instance relies on the naming
convention:
https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/python-wikitcms/blob/main/f/src/wikitcms/page.py#_743
and the way mwclient/wikitcms work, that's kinda...a two-way thing. If
you want to "find" a test day page directly you tell it the date and
the subject and that lets it construct the correct name. Going the
other way, if you feed it a test day page URL / name, it figures out
that it's a test day page and gives you the correct class in much the
same way:
https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/python-wikitcms/blob/main/f/src/wikitcms/listing.py#_225
so...yeah, it's sorta baked in there. I *can* change it all up, it's
just...work. Or whoever wants the page names to be different can do it.
;)

> > I do kinda like the date in the title personally, honestly. It's one of
> > the most important pieces of information about a test day, and having
> > it in the title means any time you share or see a link to the test day,
> > the information about when it's happening is baked in.
> >

> Yes. But it can go stale, it adds some complications (see above), and in
> the last cycles we've tried to move away from single day events and make
> them multi-day or a whole week. Then the date in the title can have an
> opposite effect, someone might not even click on it because it's already
> "too late".

Yes, I get the motivation, I just wanted to point out that it's a
disruptive change and we would want to handle this.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA