Re: The 5.14 kernel in rawhide seems to be unstable, having lockups and failed boots, didn't occur with 5.13

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 8:24 PM stan via kernel
<kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 06:38:08 -0700
> stan via kernel <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have an install of rawhide.  It is updated to latest packages in
> > rawhide.  One of those packages is the new 5.14 kernel.  It mostly
> > works, but I have seen three freezes during boot.  Two of them just
> > stopped after a screen update from systemd, but one of them (the
> > latest) said something about a deadlock involving console and cpu.  I
> > had to reboot, and the journal was corrupted, so I lost the message.
> >
> > I have also had several (less than 5) freezes while going about normal
> > business.  No consistency, they just happen.
> >
> > It is early in the development cycle for 5.14, so these will probably
> > go away, but I wanted the issue to be raised and noted.
>
> I installed the latest kernel today,
> Name        : kernel
> Version     : 5.14.0
> Release     : 0.rc0.20210708gite9f1cbc0c411.13.fc35
> and it has issues.  It boots successfully to multiuser, but when I try
> to start X, it freezes the machine.
>
> I've attached oops from journalctl during boot.  I don't know if they
> are the problem, but they probably shouldn't be happening.  Should I
> open a bug for this?

You might ask in #fedora-kernel but my two cents is I generally don't
file bugs on rawhide kernels in the RHBZ. Instead I try to figure out
what part of the kernels is blowing up, and use a current version of
the MAINTAINERS file [1] to figure out where to send an email: I'm
expecting X, I'm seeing Y, here's a dmesg. In short.

There's a ton of changes happening in the rc0 kernels, they aren't
release candidates yet. The merge window just closed, and it's 7-8
weeks of stabilization. You can expect to be asked to bisect if it
sounds like a regression; and to test a patch. If you can't, just say
so.

Branch is in about 4 weeks [2]. We will see current rawhide become
Fedora 35, which looks like it'll be kernel 4.14-rc5 by then. Any sort
of show stopper type bugs I'll file in RHBZ with a URL pointing to the
email I started with the upstream maintainers of the problem driver or
kernel component. That's because these bugs are potentially release
blocking bugs that'll need to get fixed before either the beta or
final milestone. And for that I use the blockerbugs app [3] to propose
it.

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/MAINTAINERS?h=v5.14-rc1

[2]