dnf takes a looooong time to verify the transactions.

I am running rawhide.  When I do a dnf update, it goes at normal speed,
but the verify step takes a long time.  I had an update of 789 MB, and
it took ~ 30 minutes to verify.  A 123 MB kernel install took between
10 and 15 minutes to verify.  During these verify proceedings, dnf is
writing constantly to the disk (seen with iotop).  No reads, all
writes.  That seems strange.

Is this expected behavior?  Can anyone explain why dnf is doing all
those writes after the update has completed?

Thanks.