Re: The 5.14 kernel in rawhide seems to be unstable, having lockups and failed boots, didn't occur with 5.13

On Sat, 2021-07-10 at 19:24 -0700, stan via test wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 06:38:08 -0700
> stan via kernel <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have an install of rawhide.  It is updated to latest packages in
> > rawhide.  One of those packages is the new 5.14 kernel.  It mostly
> > works, but I have seen three freezes during boot.  Two of them just
> > stopped after a screen update from systemd, but one of them (the
> > latest) said something about a deadlock involving console and cpu.  I
> > had to reboot, and the journal was corrupted, so I lost the message.
> >
> > I have also had several (less than 5) freezes while going about normal
> > business.  No consistency, they just happen.
> >
> > It is early in the development cycle for 5.14, so these will probably
> > go away, but I wanted the issue to be raised and noted.
>
> I installed the latest kernel today,
> Name        : kernel
> Version     : 5.14.0
> Release     : 0.rc0.20210708gite9f1cbc0c411.13.fc35
> and it has issues.  It boots successfully to multiuser, but when I try
> to start X, it freezes the machine.
>
> I've attached oops from journalctl during boot.  I don't know if they
> are the problem, but they probably shouldn't be happening.  Should I
> open a bug for this?

Almost all openQA tests failed in recent composes, so something is
clearly up in Rawhide. I didn't look into it in more detail yet as I've
been off work this week.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA