Re: [External] Re: Respins for OEM preloads

On 21/01/2021 10:46, Mohan Boddu wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 3:30 PM Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I don't think that should be really tricky for anyone. I'd
>> suggest we just run it as a post-release nightly compose rather than a
>> candidate and don't give it any kind of label. I don't think it should
>> be hard for releng to run that,
>
> Yes, RelEng can create a live media with updates repo included, it
> wont be a huge deal and we can sign the checksums manually making it
> official. But I notice that the cadence hasn't been finalized yet, I
> would really appreciate if we know how often do we have to run this, I
> understand it is subjected to change, but having a schedule really
> helps.
>
>From Lenovo perspective we'd like the image now (or next week) ready for
the 2021 Carbon. If there was a blocker issue then running it again
would be useful (but so far test results are good and I'll know in the
next couple week(ish) if there are any red flags.

We have some other platforms that come out later in the year with Fedora
- around the end of the summer. Last year because of various things it
worked out really well that we were ready for testing just as F33
released so we of course used that. I'm focusing right now on improving
how we get our releases out much more quickly (now I know where many of
the issues lie) so I'm not sure everything will line up quite as well,
and that's probably worthy of discussion. Is it better to have the new
Fedora out but a later release of a platform? Or earlier HW with older
Fedora? Generally the biggest criticisms I get are cost (whether I have
no control over) and release dates after Windows (where we have sucked
and I have lots of scope for improvement).

Sorry - long answer to say "once or at worst twice a year"

>> and I should be able to run openQA
>> tests and even create a validation event if necessary, I might need to
>> metaphorically whang a few things with a hammer because it won't quite
>> fit the normal flows but it shouldn't be a big deal.
>>
>> Also, I forgot to mention it'll obviously be completely impossible for
>> this to work without Lenovo shipping me some hardware for,
>> uh...testing. Yup. That's definitely non-negotiable. Two of everything.
>> :D
>
> I hope one of them is for RelEng or else it will be three of everything :D
I have noted the request ;)

Mark