Re: Respins for OEM preloads

On Tue, 2021-01-19 at 10:50 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> A large computer vendor with whom we have a friendly relationship would like
> to update the image they're shipping on their systems so that 1) new users
> don't have quite so many updates immediately and 2) auiu newer kernel helps
> with some upcoming things *vague vague handwavy vague*.
>
> I can think of four possibilities:
>
> 1. Sure, use the live-respins!
>
> 2. The live-respins are unofficial, but we have run [this specific
>    workstation iso] through our standard validation tests and we
>    recommend it for your use.
>
> 3. Use the netinstall and choose "apply updates" (or whatever that option is
>    called) when making your distribution image.
>
> 4. Uh, sorry, we got nothin'.
>

> In all cases, they will run through their own internal testing and
> validation. And, because of calendar things, they'd really love an answer
> before the 26th of this month, which I know is short notice.
>
> Of the above, I think #2 is the best, but requires someone other than me to
> do significant work. Sooooo, I'm raising it here. :)

So we kicked this around in the internal team meeting today, and we
have a thought and a question:

1. We're not too keen on just using the respins as-is. They're really
pretty unofficial: they're not built by infra, and they're not built
the same way we build 'official' images. That's fine for something we
just kinda let sit there and say "hey use it if you want to", but it's
not really appropriate for something a Large Computer Vendor would be
deploying on thousands of boxes sold to the public. It seems better to
be deploying actually-official Fedora bits on those.

2. What's the expected cadence, here? Are they wanting a respin every
week or maybe one per cycle? Because that seems likely to affect what
we do. If it's just a once-per-cycle thing, we could maybe just have
releng manually fire a post-release compose with a live image profile
in it, and I can manually schedule openQA tests for that compose.

Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA