Re: Blockerbugs discussion tickets feedback 🐞💬

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 2:20 AM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2020-11-16 at 20:29 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:

> > * Using Magic Text for voting and admin is awkward and error-prone.
> > Better UI for this would be really helpful.
>

> I'm not sure how it can be improved. Do you have any ideas?

Well, by having Pagure provide specific UI for it. Think something like
Bodhi update votes. Of course this requires work in Pagure, I guess.

It was an approach we considered (weren't you involved in the discussions at least partly? I don't remember). Either way, implementing some generic "poll" that would work for us (and others, who expressed interest in the past) is certainly doable, but it's definitely more work, especially for us not familiar with Pagure codebase. And we didn't want to invest the time in Pagure when we're not sure how much it's going to be used in Fedora in a year or two. The current solution, on the other hand, should be easily transferable to a different ticketing system.

I definitely agree that a UI-native voting solution would be the most comfortable to use.

> Do you have some idea how to make the voting process feedback better,
> without relying on Pagure bugfixes/feature updates?

No. The job would be to fix Pagure. :)
IIRC, I get the "mess of characters" result when voting, and the "no
auto-refresh at all" result when registering a decision.

I filed https://pagure.io/pagure/issue/5039
If you can reproduce the messed up description, please upload a screenshot, thanks.

> Do you mean the list of trackers - BetaBlocker, FinalBlocker, BetaFE,
> FinalFE, 0Day, PreviousRelease? I found them quite easy to remember, once
> you vote in a few tickets.

It's rather harder to keep them straight if you also have to deal with
the similar-but-not-quite-the-same Bugzilla magic texts...

The only difference seems to be in FE vs FreezeException, and then in having "AcceptedBlocker" in the Whiteboard instead of AcceptedBetaBlocker and AcceptedFinalBlocker. Perhaps we could fix at least the latter in Bugzilla? It is inconvenient anyway to not be able to distinguish Beta vote from the Final one.

> I tried to create the tracker names in the same spirit as we use it at IRC
> meetings and in Bugzilla (well, in Bugzilla we use FreezeException instead
> of FE, but I thought everybody would hate me for making them write long
> words in each ticket).

FWIW, I chose the long version for Bugzilla because it gives someone
who does not already know what an "FE" is a fighting chance of
understanding what it means.

Yes, and it was the right choice. But in there we only type that once, and in the voting ticket, we type that N times, where N is the number of participants. And those participants quite likely know what's going on. Similarly in IRC meetings, I don't remember anyone spelling out "BetaFreezeException" in the long form when voting. So that's why I opted for "FE".

Do you think it would be better to change BetaFE/FinalFE into BetaFreezeException/FinalFreezeException instead, to keep consistency?

Or (and this might be actually a good idea! ;) ), should we start showing the long form in the ticket description in the voting summary (i.e. people not familiar with our process will still have a chance to understand the voting summary), and allow people to submit their votes in both forms?

>  At IRC meetings we usually have the order reversed
> ("+1 BetaBlocker"), but I swapped it because it was easier to implement
> parsing with the tracker name being first, which also seemed more logical
> ("BetaBlocker +1").

I would kind of like if the parsing was more permissive. I'd at least
expect it to accept any combination in any order of "+1/-1", a valid
vote target name, and any amount of whitespace as a valid vote.

Filed as https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/blockerbugs/issue/153
Please comment in ticket if you meant something different.