Re: Proposal to Change: Testcase base service manipulation

On Thu, 2020-04-16 at 13:09 +0200, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 7:41 PM Geoffrey Marr <gmarr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have tested Fedora IoT, Cloud, workstation on both ARM and x86_64,
> > everything this testcase blocks on, and they all include chronyd.
> >

> The testcase doesn't suggest chronyd but crond. So which one are we talking
> about here? I tend to consider crond more important, and if we pick an
> alternative, I'd pick crond (if it's installed everywhere). I have no
> issues with replacing sshd in the testcase.
>
> If you get to rewriting the testcase, can you please restructure it a bit
> as well? The Expected Results section is dumb, especially the "The expected
> results, in order, are:" part. You can't just follow step by step
> instructions, you have to constantly jump between How To Test and Expected
> Results and try to figure out what outcome is expected at that moment.
> Ideally, each step in How To Test should be clear about the expected
> outcome, so you can really go sequentially one by one and immediately know
> when something broke. The Expected Results section would only list those
> requirements which are not specific to particular steps but are valid
> overall for the whole test case, or it doesn't make sense to put them in
> How To Test for some other reason. I tried to use this approach in my
> latest testcase [1] (there was nothing to put in Expected Results, but the
> section mustn't be empty, so I used a somewhat unneeded sentence in there).
> Can you try something similar?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_app_basic#How_to_test

If we're gonna write test cases like that, we should probably just have
an alternative template, or an alternative "mode" for the template we
have. I don't like using a template which clearly expects the "Here are
the steps, and here are the expected results" format but actually uses
"Step 1, step 1 expected result, step 2, step 2 expected result..."
format. Writing templates isn't that hard, so I feel like that would be
nicer :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey