Re: Proposal to adjust final criterion for backgrounds

On Thu, 2020-04-16 at 13:23 +0200, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:46 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Honestly, I don't really like...any of these. I kinda get the intent
> > but they all feel icky, mushy and squishy.
> >

> It also feels too vague to me. Even our existing sentence "All Fedora
> artwork visible in critical path actions on release-blocking desktops must
> be consistent with the proposed final theme." is too vague and I can't
> *currently* say what it means exactly.

It kinda harks back to a time where we had more custom artwork, I think
- like boot splashes and stuff? I don't totally remember, but that was
basically it, at the time artwork was more than 'just' the desktop
background. These days it's really pretty much that...

>  And the proposed changes are even
> more vague. They seem to be driven by future-proofing, but I'd rather keep
> clearer criteria now and adjust them only when needed. (If I misunderstood
> the motivation, please provide a longer explanation). Are there any
> existing issues that triggered these proposals?
>
>  [1] I envision a world where we could theoretically have the
> > "Background Logo" GNOME extension display a "pre-release" notation or
> > something similar.
> >

> So using the same background as the last stable release, but adding a
> "pre-release" watermark would be satisfactory for you? I'd find that
> utterly confusing. That looks like a criterion downgrade.

yeah, I wasn't quite sure what the scenario was but if it's this I
agree that seems awkward.

The approach the current criteria were intended to back was one where
we would have something like rawhide-backgrounds or development-
backgrounds which contained a background image that was very obviously
a WORK IN PROGRESS kind of thing - picture of Beefy with "PRE RELEASE"
written on it, or something like that - and this would be the
*permanent* default background for Rawhide. 'Final' backgrounds would
then be introduced for each release after it branched from Rawhide.
This would have the happy side effect that if we didn't get around to
doing anything by the Beta release, the Beta release would come out
with the 'development' background, which we figured would be OK for a
Beta, rather than with the same background as the previous release,
which isn't.

Aside from that one, the other advantage of this approach is that it
means you only have to do work in each release branch, you don't also
have to keep changing things in Rawhide.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey